- Washington Chess Federation in Redmond, WA
- Chess4Life in Bellevue, WA
- Open Window School Chess Club in Bellevue, WA
- SRI Chess Academy in Bothell, WA
- Chessport Chess Club in Kirkland, WA
- Medina Chess Club in Medina, WA
- Seattle Chess Club in Seattle, WA
- South Sound Chess Club in Seattle, WA
- Inland Chess Academy in Spokane, WA
- Spokane Chess Club in Spokane, WA
- Tacoma Chess Club in Tacoma, WA
One of the earliest known chess clubs in Washington was the Seattle Chess Club, which was founded in 1891.
In the early 20th century, chess in Washington began to gain popularity, with several other chess clubs being established in cities such as Tacoma, Spokane, and Bellingham. The Tacoma Chess Club, for example, was founded in 1908, and the Spokane Chess Club was established in 1920.
Washington continued to produce strong chess players, with notable champions such as Grandmaster Yasser Seirawan, who was born in Syria but later immigrated to the United States and lived in Seattle. He was four time U.S. Champion and represented the US in multiple Chess Olympiads.